Powered by Blogger.
RSS
Do drop me a line or two at fooodelicious@gmail.com if you have any enquiries pertaining to my creations. As for drooling...STOP! call 012-250 1864 to order now.

Local delicacy - Woo Tau Koh (yam cake)





The other day as I was watering my vegetables, I noticed one of my yam plants was pushing out of the soil and out of curiosity, I pull out and lo and behold! a reasonably sized yam was looking back at me. Hehehehe... it didnt take a long time to grew yam as I thought. Goodie! I have another 3 yam plants in my vegetable patch.. hehehe...


Anyway, I couldnt make up my mind as to what I want to make with the precious yam I harvested.. Should I cook the yam with chicken? Should I make a chinese dessert with the yam? Should I simply deep fried the yam? At the end, I was exhausted trying to figure out what I am going to do with the yam when I remembered that I have always crave a good woo tau koh.. aka yam cake.


Frankly, I prefer salty or savory kuehs and when I was young, I remember eating very good woo tau koh.. nothing like the ones nowadays. The ones we get nowadays are simply an insult to the mouth! Terrible texture, terrible flavor, terrible combination... tsk! tsk! tsk! Because of this, I have not eaten woo tau koh for a long long time. So, this morning, I set out to make a goot tray of woo tau koh.. hehehe.. I dug out my home science book from school days and went to make myself a good tray of woo tau koh...


Woo Tau Koh is relatively easy to make if you have all the right proportions of flour and water. There is also a little mixture of different flour to give the kueh a very slight bounce but yet, it's not firm or too soft... As for flavor, oo.. I like to add a little bit of home made 5 spice powder to bring out the yam flavor... Hehehehe.. and of course, a generous serving of dried prawns..but nothing is as important as the yam.. it must be fluffy, floury, flavorful.


Once the kueh is done steaming, it's important to add in the garnishing immediately. I like to have the traditional garnishing which are spring onions, fried shallots, garlic, dried prawns and chili.. Nothing beats the look of a well garnished woo tau koh.. it has such a happy color.. hehehe..



Once the kueh is properly cooled down, I couldnt wait to dig in.. Hahaha.. and it was just in time for Tea. I had a number of pieces as it was too yummy.. even without sauce.. usually, it's eaten with a combination of sweet sauce and chili sauce which I am not a big fan of. I like my food savory if it's meant to be savory.... hehehehe..

Oh yes, what I will do with the leftovers? Hehehee.. I am a chinese and nothing goes to waste.. Any leftovers will be lightly pan fried and eaten with chili sauce. woo hooo.. my breakfast is done for tomorrow!









Free Template Blogger collection template Hot Deals SEO
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Yummy Mummy said...

This is damn best! Everyone gasak every piece. The best yam cake I have had. Great job!