Powered by Blogger.
RSS
Do drop me a line or two at fooodelicious@gmail.com if you have any enquiries pertaining to my creations. As for drooling...STOP! call 012-250 1864 to order now.

Many layers of cloud - An old fashion dessert




Eons ago when I was young, I used to eye this being wheeled about in high end dim sum shops and on rare occasions, someone on the table will order this and I get to eat it! It was always a Yippeeeee!!! feeling when I get to eat this. Hehehe.. and yes, there is another dim sum dessert that gives me that Yipppeeee!! feeling.. but that is another story later.

Anyway, back to this many layers of cloud dessert.. hmmm... it was not just the color that attracted me.. it was more of the taste and texture. Yes, I was into such things at an early age. Hehehe.. the texture is as if like clouds.. or rather cotton since I have yet to taste clouds. It's a rather firm with a soft airy texture that literally melt in the mouth... it's by no means a soft and mushy thing, it's able to be out of the fridge for quite awhile without going all "jelliod" but yet, it is not chewy like gummy bears and for the longest time, I tried to figure this out and experimented! Hehehehe.. and over the years, failure after failure, I somehow gave up until recently..

I saw this being sold at some funky fusion chinese restaurant and was thrilled to bits as you cant find them anymore...(my aunt's theory is that most of these old dim sum sifu has passed on taking along with them their secrets and skills!) and without any hesitation, bought a piece that cost quite a bit. With such great eagerness, went home to dig in and lo and behold! it was not what I remembered it to be. It was very chewy and tasted like gummy bears.. Nothing like what I remembered!!! Mega disappointment dont even come close!!! I was so unhappy.. I get all upset when my expectations are not met and when that happens, I set out to achieve my expectations.. and this means...

Yes! I started my experiment with this again. With the many egg whites sitting in my fridge from all the sugee cakes, layer cakes orders, I have plenty and can afford to fail! Hahahaha.. The first 2 tries were failures but I didnt fail too badly.. it was either too soft and mushy or too firm.. so on my 3rd try.. I combined both failed adventures and did some math.. and came up with a new proportion.... and...

Ta-daaa!! I got it right! Heh! heh! heh! The texture was like how I remember it.. firm but yet soft with an airy texture that melts in the mouth. My aunt who has always act as my most fierce critic was asked to try.. and when she took her first bite, she gave her SIRIM chop! YAY! and my aunt took a 2nd piece.. double YAY! I was so happy! so so happy! and I shared this with my friends many whom has never had this before.... Ahhh.. bliss..

And yes, I am thinking of selling this for parties...I think they will look very pretty... and maybe another young child will be enticed to make this... Hehehe..


Free Template Blogger collection template Hot Deals SEO
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

4 comments:

Juliana said...

How do you sell and how much?

Food so delicious! said...

I think I will sell per tray basis. 9in x 9in for say RM45.

Juliana said...

Wah, not cheap hor? Can cut to about 100 pcs? If can, i may consider to have this for church hospitality duty somewhere next month.

Food so delicious! said...

Juliana,

Tell me what is cheap nowadays?? The thing is this used to be sold as premium in dim sum shops eons ago.. so this price is an introductory price. I shall increase the price after this introductory period.

If you are good at cutting like my aunt, you can 81 pieces...